Sunday, September 12, 2010

Iconic Run

There are very few iconic runs in American popular culture. In fact, just two come to mind--Forrest Gump's "Run Forrest, Run!" and Sylvester Stallone's Rocky run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. This afternoon I ran Rocky's run, and then some. I don't remember having been to Philadelphia (in the city) as an adult. I have flown in and out of the airport many times, but this is the first time to be in the city. I am impressed. With so much of our nation's early history having been made here, I am hoping to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall after my meetings tomorrow.

I ran about 11 miles from downtown past the Museum of Art and then out the Fairmont Park trail (which apparently goes all the way to Valley Forge). Along the river it was beautiful--the lazy river and rowing teams out seemingly flying up and down the river. There are public sculpture and flower gardens all along the parkway and there were scads of people out running and biking and walking.

The only disappointing part of today's run was realizing that I will not be ready to run Twin Cities in three weeks. Too much missed training and too many nagging injuries that just are not going away (or even getting marginally better). I initially was going to run the race at Hannah's behest, but now that her new husband is running with her, I think that I will be OK with cheering her along at various points along the race course. It is a tough decision, but it is time to listen to what my body is telling me and to be grown up about it. It will be a different role, but I think that I will be OK with it in the end.

Go Hannah! Go Paul! Go Jeff!

Pressing On,
-Ken

No comments: