Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Better Perspective

You may be familiar with the Serenity Prayer. It is a fairly common refuge of hope in the midst of difficult circumstances. But most people are not aware of the entire prayer--only the first few lines. The entire prayer, developed by Reinhold Niebuhr is below:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace; taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is; not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will; so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.


Food for thought,
-Ken

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Count me as one who never knew there was more to that prayer. As most of us know it, it is a quick and easy, almost secular, expression. With the whole prayer, it deepens into an eternity-focused daily dedication of our lives.