Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Not Another Treadmill

I am more glad than you can know that the marathon is not run on a treadmill. Some people seem to like them, but not me. I love the variability of the terrain outdoors and there is much more to see along the way. At the same time, in an unfamiliar place and unfamiliar running routes, at least no one ever got lost on the treadmill. Traveling presents challenges (and opportunities) with finding safe routes of the proper distance and I think I am getting better at it.

Part of what is tiresome about the treadmill is that I cannot detect progress from my surroundings. If I cannot see movement or progress, it is easy to believe that there is NO progress--which is simply not the case. And lack of progress is demotivating to me. I find the same to be true in my journey as a Christ-follower. If I am not experiencing what feels like progress, it is easy to become demotivated and lethargic in my pursuit of Christ. I have not yet figured out how to crest that particular hill, but I do not think that I am alone. How can we stay motivated to pursue Christ even when visible progress is elusive?

For today I am finished with the treadmill (5.5), and maybe I can even find a place to run outside tomorrow.

I am curious about the new book containing Mother Teresa's letters. From what I have read of the book, she continued to serve even in the midst of feeling distant from God and abandoned. I feel like I may be able to learn something from her perseverance. I should even be able to get through much of the book on my current trip.

No comments: