Monday, January 11, 2010

DLF>DNF>DNS

"Dead Last Finisher" is greater than "Did Not Finish" is greater than "Did Not Start." I was not the dead last finisher in the Goofy Challenge, but this was the best "item on a shirt" I saw in both races. I do not know what else to say--this was the hardest thing that I have ever done--both physically and mentally. There were times on Sunday when all I could do was to keep putting one foot in front of the other--reminding myself that if I stop, I will never finish. The race organizers said that between the 5k, the half marathon, and the marathon, there were 55,000 runners. There were more than 17,000 finishers in each of the half and the full marathons. That is a LOT of people. Looking around I was reminded that runners come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. And everyone is there running their own race.

For most people, finishing the race was the goal. Some had a particular time in mind, but for many people, success was found in crossing the finish line. Ultimately in an event like this one, each person runs their own race. It is really only the front 10 people who are realistically trying to win the race. Everyone else is running for something other than glory and public accolades. With everyone other than the front few people, it really doesn't matter what or how anyone else is doing.

Again I am reminded that life is that way--it doesn't really matter what someone else is doing. What matters is how I am managing all of the various aspects of my life. Not in comparison to anyone else, but in comparison to who and what I am called to be. The task is not to get to the "finish line" ahead of others, but to run the best race that I can. The ultimate measure of my success in life cannot be in comparison to others, but only in comparison to how I am fulfilling my calling.

I am taking today off from running, but I am looking forward to a short run in Florida tomorrow and in Central Park on Wednesday.

Pressing On!

2 comments:

Jay said...

You da man!

Allan said...

I saw those same shirts (or ones like them) in this year's Disney Marathon and had many of the same thoughts. I hope you're still running!