Saturday, January 2, 2010

Esse Quam Videri

"To be rather than to appear." This phrase has stuck with me since I first came across it a few years ago. The concept is not new--be authentic and not fake--but the Latin has a certain memorable ring to it. If one accepts the value of authenticity, the question then becomes what does it mean to be authentic? May I suggest that to live an authentic life means that my actions should be a window into that which I believe--without explanation or interpretation. After all, if I have to interpret my actions, then I am putting a spin on what I do that seeks to change the action's nature. If I have to say, "What I really meant was __", then I have not lived clearly.

I have come to believe that this kind of authenticity goes beyond merely believing the right things or thinking the right way. Esse quam videri-living goes primarily to what I do. Over the years I have become less concerned with the why and more concerned with the what. I know that some people would disagree with me, but I would rather do the right thing for a less than ideal reason than to not do the right thing at all. (Of course, the best outcome is to do the right thing for the most right reason.) I have just seen too many people--and certainly have been one myself at times--who believe or think the right things, but do not live out those beliefs and thoughts. That kind of living is of no practical value.

In today's Advent reading (yes, my book has readings through January 7th), Soren Kierkegaard observes that the wise men must have been perplexed that the scribes--the scholars and right-thinkers of the day--did not accompany them to honor the infant King. Did they not realize the import of what they claimed to know? How did they not draw the connection between what they knew and what that knowledge meant? The King of kings had arrived on the planet? How could the scribes simply treat this amazing event as a mere intellectual puzzle? And I must face the real question of the day, how do I so often overlook the connection between this ancient royal infant and the way I live day to day?

I wonder how 2010 would be different if I more consistently lived out my relationship to this King throughout the year? If I knew the answer it might translate into a plan of action, but I am not yet sure what it would look like. Perhaps I can think this through during the Goofy Race and a Half--after all, I should have plenty of time. I have this lingering feeling that this could be an important question to answer well.

Pressing On!

1 comment:

Jay said...

Looking forward to hearing more about this and how the Goofy Race and a Half turned out:)