Monday, May 3, 2010

Negative Splits

When you run the second half of a race or a run faster than the first half, we call that "negative splits." I generally run negative splits because it takes a while to get warmed up or because when I finish the first half of the run, I know that I have the juice to speed up the rest of the way. Today's trail run was no exception.

Since it was my birthday, I wanted to do something that I wanted to do--so I went out to our local state park, Lake Maria, to run the trails. 5.5 miles on the road is nothing like 5.5 miles on the trails--except that it is 5.5 miles. On the road I really don't have to pay too much attention. On the trails, if I am not attentive I will be eating dirt. On the road I rarely have to consider which way to go. On the Lake Maria trail network, I have to think about which trail ends up where or I could be out there all night. On the road the ups and downs are gradual. On the trails I am reminded that not all of central Minnesota is flat.

While I was running I spent some time reflecting on life. Turning 50 is supposed to be some kind of milestone, so I did not want to let the day pass without some serious contemplation. This thought process is not complete, but the start has been intriguing. I figure that I have now lived 30 more-or-less adult years. Also, absent some crisis, another 30 adult years may not be an unreasonable planning horizon. What I hear from people who have gone before me is that life is lived in negative splits--the second half goes more quickly than the first. If so, in order to maximize the effect and value of the second half will require a much more focused approach.

I think that a place to begin is to answer the question, "What have I accomplished in the first half?" I should tackle this from several perspectives--family, faith, work, mental, physical, friendships--and be thorough. Usually I tend to shortchange what I have accomplished, but this is not the time for false modesty. It is time to assess carefully what I have done and become. Only then can I chart a course for the next 30 years that will fill in the gaps or focus on the things that are emerging as more crucial. Mentoring, for example.

I may have taught a lot of classes and preached a lot of sermons, but my personal investment in the faith and leadership development of individuals in the next generation is something that I would see as a deficiency. This is not something that I can afford to be "too busy" to do. I am not sure what I have to offer, or who might be interested, but maybe I can find someone who will be willing to jump off the cliff with me (into the clear, refreshing pool of water under the Sugar Creek bridge).

One thing that I have learned when running negative splits is that the second half of the run requires more attention than the first. To run the second half faster than the first means that I need to pay attention and run a steady, but increasing pace. There is no room for wasted motion or charging up hills like a banshee. It may not look impressive to the spectators, but I know what it takes to make the second half faster.

If indeed the second half of my adult life does go faster than the first, I will need to be every bit as attentive to keeping a steady pace and not wasting time or energy. The pull to slow down and coast is ever present, but that pull must be fought and defeated.

What will it take to run the next 30 years better than the last 30? I am not sure what the answers will be. But I know that the second half needs to begin with asking the searching questions of mission, focus, and life purpose. Bring 'em on!

Pressing On,
-Ken

P.S. The wedding was beautiful and I have never seen the bride happier in her entire life--a good start!

No comments: