Monday, May 31, 2010

Home Again

Saturday morning I ran (and biked) the Apple Duathlon with Abby, Hannah, and Paul. It is a familiar race (3.1 run, 21 bike, 3.1 run), but it was an unfamiliar experience. I cannot ever remember my quads cramping--at the same time--and I am certain that I will not willingly repeat the experience. It is the closest that I have come to quitting a race. But I had to remind myself that DLF>DNF>DNS (dead last finisher is greater than did not finish is greater that did not start). And for those who may be wondering, I was not quite DLF.

It was first race in my new age group and I had hoped for better. Lesson learned--don't fly home from India on Friday and try to race on Saturday morning.

What did strike me was how I felt at the singing of the National Anthem before the race. Generally I am a pretty patriotic guy. I actually do sing the National Anthem at events. But there was something about singing on Saturday after having been out of the country for a couple of weeks. I was reminded afresh that despite the challenges we face as the U.S.A., we do live in the greatest country on the planet. The opportunities that most Americans have far outreach what any other country can offer to most of their residents. Education, work, clean air and water, hope ... these are the things that we have in abundance. I know that it is easy to look around sometimes and lament our economic situation or challenges with finding work or getting into the school you want. But we do not have to look long beyond our borders to see a lot of countries who would love to have what we see as problems.

So too with Saturday's run. On Sunday I was feeling all disappointed and sheepish about my result. But the people I talked with at church and at a gathering in the afternoon didn't care about the "miserable" race, they just thought it was amazing that a guy like me could still do such a thing. So much, I suppose, is a matter of perspective.

Pressing On!
-Ken

No comments: