Monday, December 15, 2008

Happiness is ...

Do you ever find yourself with a song running through your head and wonder, "Now where did that come from?" During yesterday's half marathon, I found the old song, Happiness is, running through my head. You know the one--two kinds of ice cream, finding your skate key, telling the time. (That's it, everyone sing along now.) I have no idea where it came from. Certainly I was having a good time--the weather was beautiful, I really like the race course, I was feeling pretty good, and I was comfortably on a much faster pace than I had anticipated. But even so, I hadn't thought of that song for who knows how long.

I wonder if that is how people feel who have a deeply personal relationship with God. Almost without even willing it to be so they find themselves thinking of Godly things, spiritual things. Out of the blue and without even trying. Sometimes I wonder what it would take to get to that point--where the ordinary course of living equals godliness. Certainly it seems as if it takes concentrated effort over a long duration, but I wonder what it would feel like to get there.

To get to the place in life where what arises from the depths is, Happiness is ...

Pressing on!

No comments: