Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Training for Christmas

This morning at the pool--yes, you read that right and I'll explain later--I overhead this conversation:

-Are you training for something?
*Yes, Christmas.
(momentary quiet)
-You mean for the gluttony?
*I guess you could say that.

On the one hand, I had to appreciate that Mr. Gluttony at least was taking steps to limit the effects of his anticipated Christmas gastronomic excess. On the other hand, if fitness is the goal, why not just go easy on the cream puffs and spritz cookies? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the food of the Christmas season as much as the next guy--and I have all too often been in the shoes of Mr. Gluttony (but usually not in advance of the eating). But keeping the big picture clearly in mind might make this a different conversation.

Someone once said, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission." While I may agree to a large extent, if something is going to need forgiveness, just don't do it. I realize that this is much easier said than done, but I find that when I go ahead with those things for which it is easier to get forgiveness than permission, I always end up needing forgiveness.

Back in the days of doing student ministry it seemed that there were two types of youth ministries--those that specialized in helping broken kids find wholeness and those that did what they could to help kids not get broken in the first place. While realizing that pain and hurt seem to be unavoidable in this life, I always thought that it would be preferable to build a fence at the top of the cliff rather than just build a medical clinic at the base of the cliff. Granted, even if you build a fence, some will climb over and need the clinic. But without help to avoid harmful choices before they become reality, there will be more pain and hurt hat necessary.

About the pool. The last time that I was in the pool to swim laps was the spring of 1979 for my college lifesaving class. The main challenge there (other than having to constantly "rescue" our football team's fullback who floated like a rock) was the 1000-yard timed swim. I recall that it took several attempts before I finally made the time cut. In anticipation of the Fargo Marathon I decided that I needed to find some activity that would build muscle strength and also enhance aerobic capacity without the additional pounding that a treadmill or other indoor running would create. I haven't forgotten how to swim, but it is not any easier than I remembered. We have a nice pool at our Community Center and there are worse ways to start a below-zero morning than swimming between 1/4 and 1/2 mile in a warm pool. Plus I am collecting a rainbow of the wristbands that you get when you check into the Community Center. (Maybe I can put those next to my marathon finisher's medal when the time comes.)

Pressing on.

No comments: