Friday, December 5, 2008

Here We Go Again

Crossing the Rubicon. Julius Caesar's crossing the Rubicon in violation of law inevitably brought the war he wanted. Break the woks and sink the boats. Xiang Yu's order at the Battle of Julu to ford the river and destroy all means of re-crossing it committed his army to a struggle to the end with the Qin--ultimately achieving victory. Two phrases from military history denoting a decision being made that dictates a particular course of action.

Last night I put in my registration for the Fargo Marathon on May 9, 2009 (www.fargomarathon.com). While it is still 21 weeks away, I learned last time that I needed every bit of the 18-week marathon training schedule. I am going to follow the same schedule this time around because it did what it was supposed to last time--it got me to the finish line. In case you are interested (or wish to marvel at my loss of my senses), you can find the schedule at www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html. One important difference this time around will be that my training will mostly happen during the winter. I can only imagine what it may be like to have a 12 mile run scheduled and have it be icy outside. That would mean 12 miles indoors at the Community Center at 15 laps per mile (I'm not sure that I can even count that high). Even so, I am rather excited about the prospect of working toward a sub-four hour finish time.

During today's chilly 4.3 I was wondering if I am taking this on because I feel like I have something to prove to someone. I don't think so, but I'll need to think about that one a bit more. After my other marathon experience I am not laboring under any illusions that it will be easy or glamorous. It is mostly solitary until the day of the race, and then it is mostly just long. (At least that is what I seem to remember.)

I am looking forward to the reflection time that I know will accompany the training. I want to bring my list of "things to think through", but I also want to be very open to listening for what God may have to say this time around. Also, I again want to use this blog as a means of sharing what I am thinking and learning through this process. If anyone reads the blog and finds encouragement or finds that their own thinking is stimulated, then so much the better. Mostly (and not to be selfish) it will be a method for me to process life.

Pressing on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're blogging again. We look forward to cheering you on in Pinellas County.
Dad