Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Little Boy Died

Just got word that a little Ethiopian boy that we had sponsored through Kind Hearts (www.hopechest.org) died from a leg infection. A leg infection! He got a cut on his leg and his family thought that he would just get better. A few days later he died en route to the hospital because he had not gotten better and they were finally taking him in. A little boy dead from something that we would just put some antibiotic cream and a Bandaid on and never think twice about.

It would be easy to blame the family for not taking better care--but I do not. It would be easy to blame a government that tolerates living conditions for its people where little boys die of simple cuts--but I do not. It would be easy to blame a God who provides food and shelter for the sparrow, but not for Yetbarek--but I do not. It would be easy to blame someone else--but I cannot. Until I have done everything that I can with what I give and how I invest my time, I cannot blame anyone else. How many kids in Yetbarek's place go without adequate food, shelter, education, or medical care because I want another book or the latest gadget? How many kids go without opportunity or real hope because I am so self-absorbed with making a "good life" for my family and me? How many kids will never know the slightest comfort because of my discontent? How long will I let this continue?

I have long since lost the notion that I can change the world. That used to motivate me, but no longer. I am not strong enough, smart enough, or diligent enough to change the world. But like the guy on the beach throwing the starfish back out into the water, perhaps I can make a difference for one or two. Rather than throw up my arms and blame all of the people and institutions that failed Yetbarek, I will redouble my efforts to do what I can for whomever I can. For me, that will start with finding another kid from Hope Chest. Then we'll see where that leads.

Pressing on--a bit heavy-hearted today,
-Ken

4 comments:

Dan Prine said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. Press on!

Derek Birdsall said...

Wow Mr. Prine! Tragic indeed! You have a great heart, I appreciate that!

Laurie G. said...

As always, inspired by your heart, Ken!

Karen said...

Ken - can't believe it took me nearly 30 days to find this blog post. And my eyes fill with tears yet again for Yetbarek and so many other innocent, precious children that live like this. I met this little boy in December - and as you know, he had a smile that could light up an entire room. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and encouraging others to make a difference - as you are!! blessings - Karen Wistrom