Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Joy in the Familiar

This morning's 4 miler was along one of my old familiar routes in Alexandria, Va, just outside of Washington, D.C. It doesn't get light as early in D.C. as it does in Minnesota this time of year, so it was good to be on familiar terrain. I knew what to expect and how far I needed to go to get to 4 miles total. There is something that feels good about being in familiar surroundings, even when far from home. I suppose that one danger would be if I started to think of this "different" place as home--if it became too familiar.

Many days it is an effort to remind myself that this life, this existence, this world is not my home--that my true home is elsewhere and elsewhen. (Yes, elsewhen. It means a different time.) This life is temporal; it only lasts for a short time. My true life is everlasting; which is a long time. This life is very present, but my true life is hidden with Christ in God. (Not quite sure what that means, but it is not in Monticello or D.C.) It is so easy to forget my real home in the midst of all that I see and experience. But I can live life best when I remember that I am but a tourist and a visitor to this present life--my home is elsewhere and elsewhen.

Pressing on!
-Ken

No comments: