Monday, August 9, 2010

Environmental Slowdown

I cannot control the weather. No surprise to anyone I know--nor to me. The thermometer was pushing 95 during today's run at Noon. (Let's not discuss why I wasn't running at 5:30 in the morning when it was cooler--perhaps tomorrow.) I like running in the heat and I like running in the cold. But the environmental conditions, which I cannot control, have an impact on how I run. Typically, I run about a minute per mile slower at 90 than at 70--and that is with the same perceived effort. I feel like I am exerting the same energy, but I am simply moving more slowly.

On hot days I have several choices--to run or not to run; short sleeves or no sleeves; carry water or look for sprinklers; complain about the heat or hit the road. What I do not get to choose is whether it is hot or not. Even if I decided to get upset about it being hot, that would not change the temperature. So why bother?

Sometimes life feels like a very hot day. I want things to be a certain way, but factors beyond my control turn "my way" into "no way." What then? Do I lament the things that I cannot change? Or do I make the best of the immutable circumstances? What can I change? What must I accept? But sometimes I feel like if I complain, or play the "if only" game, or work hard to change that which cannot be changed, then I cannot be held responsible for the unpleasant, immutable circumstance.

But I am the only one who holds me responsible for those things in the first place. I often find my self apologizing if it is too hot to do something outside that I had planned to do with others (or if it is too rainy). Do I really think that it was my fault?

When I was a kid my Dad taught me how to play tennis. In those early days there was not so much tennis playing and a lot of walking up to the net or to a far court to retrieve an errant shot. When I made a bad shot I would say, "I'm sorry." My Dad finally told me that I didn't need to say I was sorry unless I did it wrong on purpose. Wise words from a wise man.

I don't need to apologize to myself when it is hot outside and I run slower than I did a week ago--or five years ago. It might even feel freeing. Who knows? Sounds like it may be worth a try.

Pressing On!
-Ken

No comments: