Sunday, August 29, 2010

Like Falling Off a Bicycle

Went sailing yesterday afternoon for the first time in too long. It was a very windy day, but with two of us, we got the boat in the water just fine. The last time (before yesterday) that I went out it was also a very windy day, but I was by myself. I could not even get the boat launched because there was too much for one person to coordinate. (Can you coordinate with yourself?) The memory of not even getting off the beach probably kept me on shore for much of the summer, but not yesterday. There were a few dicey moments trying to launch in to the wind--and not being quite sure where the wind was coming from--but once we got out into the lake it was the bet sailing in years. Lots of wind. Lots of speed. Lots of spray. Lots of having the boat up on edge.

The key to yesterday being a positive sailing day was another person along to handle some of the load. Most of the time I run by myself. I love the solitude and the time to just let my mind go where it wants to go. But when the run is challenging, another person can make all the difference. On the brutal trail run in July, I don't know if I would have finished if I had been by myself. On the steep uphills, all of us on the climb would shout encouragement to other runners--whether we knew them or not. And that encouragement made the difference between running up a hill (such as it was) and walking--or stopping. When everything is smooth or relatively easy, solitary running is just fine. But when the circumstances get tough, others make the difference.

The other day I was reflecting on friends and how we make them and keep them. I have a few people with whom I am becoming friends (World's Greatest Small Group), but a small number of long term good friends--for whom I am thankful.

So thanks to Frank, and Jeff, and Robin, and Nancy, and Michael, and Dan, and Jay--and first and foremost Carmen. I couldn't do this without you!

Pressing On!
-Ken

No comments: