Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Same, But Different

Dropped off my youngest at college yesterday--at my alma mater of all places. I have not been back to campus to walk around for nearly 30 years, and the mind does interesting things. Some places looked just like they did in the spring of 1982 when I last walked through campus. But so much has changed. The dorm where I was an RA for my last two years no longer exists. The dorm at the top of the freshman quad (next to where I lived and RA'd for the first two years) burned and has been replaced by several dorm-lets. The Ultimate Frisbee filed has a volleyball pit and net right in the middle! The snow football field is now a parking lot.

Yet, the new science building will be a place where Abby will find much "joy of mathematics." The new biological sciences building will be a huge step up from Harrison Hall's cramped lecture rooms and labs.

Much looked the same. Some looks different. But what about the things that really matter? I have two good friends from that chapter of life and those friendships have little to do with buildings or classes. Those friendships grew from long discussions of things that were important; doing things together; and the serendipity of having been in that place at the same time.

For Abby I wish for lasting friendships that sprout at DePauw, but that will continue to flourish and grow over the decades. I wish for her a greater self-awareness than I had--to appreciate that this a rare time in her life when she can think new thoughts; try new things that she thinks she might enjoy, but never really had the chance to try in our little town; and further develop and discover what she believes and will invest her life in. She cannot yet know, and will have to discover for herself, but she is in the best possible place for her right now. A challenging academic environment where she will have to work hard to do well, and a place where she is surrounded by (and is one herself) young men and women who are idealistic, energetic, and hopeful. They still believe that they can change the world--and maybe she will.

If my parents experienced similar thoughts and feelings to what I have felt this past week, then thank you for helping me set a course that included four years at DePauw. I am a better man for the friends I made and for what I learned there--both in and out of the classroom (mostly out). I can only hope that three decades from now, Abby will make a trip back to campus and be struck by the joy that no matter what looks new, much will not have changed. That she will look back and be thankful for the friends, the learning, and the opportunities to make a better life--and a better world.

Pressing On!
-Ken

No comments: