Thursday, August 16, 2007

Raising the Set Point

Most things in life seem to have a "set point." A default level of something--activity, communication, closeness, workload. For example, as I understand weight, a person arrives at a certain set point for weight that is determined by a variety of factors--age, activity level, body type, diet. But the important aspect is that a person's weight will tend to settle at that set point unless the person makes affirmative efforts to change their set point. Diet changes or increased/decreased activity levels can change the set point for a person's weight.

Relationships also seem to have a set point of closeness and communication. To get closer or communicate more requires affirmative efforts over time in that direction. Set points do not change overnight or easily. Sometimes it may be worth the effort to change a set point and other times it may be OK to just leave the set point where it is. Running seems to have its own set point aspects.

Last night I ran 8.1 around a pretty lake in Maple Grove. That felt like a good distance (though it felt longer at the end of the day than at the beginning). This morning I put in another 5.2 and it almost felt too short. I can remember not so long ago when 3.1 felt just right and much more than that felt like a tremendous exertion. But my set point has changed. Distance and pace that felt just right a few months ago now seems too short and too slow. I am OK with the change, although it takes longer to get the same satisfaction level from a run. I wonder what will happen post-marathon? I sure don't want to lose the benefits that I have gained so far, but I also know that I cannot keep up this training pace. I'll know more in mid-October.

No comments: