Monday, August 13, 2007

Up North Favorites

A wonderful weekend of favorites. Phil's cabin is one of my two favorite relaxing places. My in-law extended family are some of my very favorite people. Kelsey was along and her laugh is one of my very favorite sounds. Abby spent lots of time in the hammock and that is one of my favorite images of someone else relaxing. My mother-in-law brought her homemade doughnuts--and all-time favorite (sorry Krispy Kreme). And of course, one of my three favorite places to run.

After Friday's 16-miler, something between five and six sounded just about right for Sunday morning. The gravel road winds through the pine, birch, and poplar forest, up and down hills that are enough to notice, but not so much as to discourage. In the morning the sun dapples the road and the movement from shade to sun brings a marked temperature change. A slight breeze to keep the deer flies away. It is my idea of a nearly perfect run (10 degrees cooler would have made it perfect.) Running with Phil is also enjoyable. He is 60, but neither acts, nor lives that age. When running, either conversation or quiet comes easily and I feel that I can be myself. Thanks Phil!

I hope that running with my brother Dan will be like that. Effortless in the sense of not needing to force conversation or have the drone of labored breathing seem awkward. I think it will be great. My one hesitation is that it will be such a good experience that I will want to find more occasions that once a year to run together. Perhaps it is an unreal ideal, but how cool it would be to have my brother as a regular running/training partner.

All in all a wonderfully relaxing weekend. Nice for a change.

No comments: