Monday, May 21, 2007

Chicago Serendipity

Every now and then a change of environment can be refreshing--a new book, new food, new socks, a new running route. I'm in Chicago for a day for a conference and I wanted to run this evening after the last conference session. The doorman at the hotel pointed me to the way to get to the lakefront trail and away I went. Chicago is such a vibrant and beautiful city. So many people were out enjoying the late spring evening--biking, roller blading, walking, running.



It was one of those rare runs where I did not want it to end. I ended up going 6.5 miles, but I was disappointed when I got back to my starting place. It was good to stop so I won't be miserable tommorow, but it was hard to stop. Most of the time I am ready to be done by the end of my planned run, but not tonight. Even something that is hard work can be enjoyable.



Tomorrow I go to California for a couple of days of meetings and I am looking forward to encountering another serendipitous experience.



P.S. Saw my friend Frank (and Aileen) on this trip and I am reminded how good it is to have an old friend who is also a good friend--and cool to boot. I appreciate that we could talk about much more than news, weather and sports. Props to Frank!

No comments: