Saturday, May 19, 2007

Not alone is OK

Despite what the rest of my family thinks (they are Florida residents), Minnesota in the late spring and early summer can be incredible. Today is sunny and 85, with a slight NW breeze. A perfect day for an EDI (easy does it) run. Usually I prefer to run alone--my own pace, my route, in my own little thought bubble. But today, my daughter H came along--for the first part. It was great. We could talk and encourage each other to keep a steady pace. Wouldn't want to do it this way every day, but today was nice. It was even a little sad when we went by the house after 2.25 miles and dropped her off.

Sometimes it is better not to go it alone. Even the most self-sufficient of us needs a little encouragement or help along the way. It is OK to offer, and OK to accept.

My TCM registration has been confirmed and October 7th is the target. Every run between now and then points to, and will contribute to, that day. Nothing like a big 26.2 mile target! I feel encouraged (perhaps the residual endorphin effect) that this time will be different and that I will see both the start and finish lines.

No comments: