Thursday, May 31, 2007

Counting the Cost

At the outset of any venture it is wise to "count the cost." That way we do not get ourselves into the position of backing out because we didn't think something through enough. We can also decide if the activity/pursuit is really worth the cost. Over the course of this marathon training program I will cover about 450 miles. Even at a 9:30 pace, that will require 4275 minutes of running (not counting the minutes to stop sweating after running). Over the next 18 weeks, I will be investing just over 71 hours in the marathon training adventure--about 1.5 work weeks, or just under three full days. I have counted the cost and I believe that for me and at this time the investment is justified.

But the reality is that not everyone would agree with me. I have already encountered folks who give me the "Are you sure you're OK?" look. But whether anyone else agrees with me, I am OK with the investment of time and energy. [It certainly helps me that my usual running time--early mornings--does not cost my family anything. They are either still sleeping or getting ready for work/school and not looking for meaningful conversation.] Bottom line for me is that I do not care whether anyone else applauds my efforts or even notices. This is not about anyone else and their preferences. This is about me doing something that is mentally and physically healthy for me and something that I have wanted to do for many years.

In some ways this is also true about striving to follow Christ. Each person must choose to follow or not and that decision cannot be based on what others think. Either being a Christ-follower is worth your investment or it is not. Millions, and perhaps billions, down through history have concluded that it is worth the investment, but you decide for yourself--then act.

No comments: