Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Big Mo-mentum

It hasn't taken long for the momentum effects of training to kick in. I am finding it easier to get out of bed at 5:01 a.m. than to stay under the covers and it feels like I am missing something on the days that I do not run. Plus, this is the perfect time of year for running in Minnesota. For example, this morning it was light by the time I left the house at about 5:15 and it was about 48 degrees with no wind. I got to watch the sun break over the horizon and was part of seeing my little town stir from the night's slumber.

I think that I often underestimate the effect of momentum in other aspects of life. When things are going well relationally with my kids, it is easier to keep them moving in that direction. When they are not, it takes extra effort to get things headed in the right direction. I find the same to be true in my journey with God. When I am spending time praying and reading my Bible, it is easier to do those necessary disciplines the next day. When I miss a few days, it seems harder to get back into a healthy pattern.

I like the momentum effect when it comes to running. It makes me feel more like a real unner and less like someone who is trying too hard to cling to some imaginary glory from his younger days. I like the feeling of getting out on the streets while most of the town is still asleep and feeling that this is "how it should be." I really like the time to think long thoughts. To begin to mull over something today and know that I have a few more days this week to give it all of the time and attention that the thought deserves. Hurrah for momentum!

No comments: