Friday, June 29, 2007

Back At It

Two weeks of vacation with extended family created lots of good memories and plenty of different running opportunities--along the Virginia Beach boardwalk, through Greenbelt National Park in D.C., some neighborhoods around Williamsburg, VA. But it is good to be home and back to familiar places. I was a bit surprised how excited the kids were to get home last night--almost giddy.

For some reason, during this morning's 5.2 I found myself thinking of glimpses of the future. One of my kids likes to read the end of a mystery novel first in order to find out who will still be alive at the end of the story. She says she can enjoy the rest of the book better if she knows the ending. I don't get it--why ruin the tension and mystery? But what about real life. If you could get a 30 minute glimpse of your life five years from now or fifteen, would you want to see? How might it change the way that you live today? In a morbid moment, I wondered what if I look five years into the future and find that I'm dead? Would that change anything that I am doing now? If so, shouldn't I go ahead and make those changes? Why wait?

One of the reasons that I love running is that it gives me time to ponder questions like this that I otherwise would not have the freedom to consider.

P.S. My brother is going to run a half marathon with me in December (in Florida). I am excited about sharing the journey with him, as well as the event. Who knows, he may even grow to like running and then I will have more than a brother--a comrade for the roads. Cool thought.

1 comment:

dprine said...

I've actually done 2 days out of three! Big step for me. At my pace, it will only take 2 days to complete it & I'll be ready to do it in 2010! Still excited about it & I look forward to sharing the journey with you. - D