Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Not all roses, but well worth the effort

I would hate for anyone to get the wrong impression. As much as I love running and my training for the TCM, it is not easy or "no big deal." 5:00 a.m. is still early and my body is still 47 years old. It is not easy, but it is good--good for me in the long run and good in the midst.

Our contemporary culture is quite taken with easy and painless and happy and carefree. The preferred course of action is usually the one that is easiest. But what about character-building difficulties, what about "no pain, no gain?" If all that you do is take the easy route, what will you do when there is no easy way? But if you have experience with overcoming difficulty, then you can meet it head on the next time with confidence rather than abject terror.

I suppose that training for a long run reflects this reality. I run a little bit more each week--with a little bit longer "long run" each weekend--so that I will be prepared and confident about running 26.2 miles on October 7th. If I just showed up at the start line on October 7th, I do not think that my chances of finishing would be very high. The training over the next few months will carry me to the finish. The training is not glamorous, nor is it easy, but it is worth the effort--for the attainment of the ultimate goal.

No comments: