Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Free Thought Zone

Some people look at runners and think that our experience is a mind-numbing repetition--left, right, left, right ... It is true that running does not necessarily require a lot of attention, but I usually find it to be mind-freeing. Last Friday I got to go flying in a Cessna 172--an early Fathers Day gift (props to all!). It was thrilling to fly the plane for much of the flight, including the landing, but it was attention intensive. No time for daydreaming. Between watching for other aircraft, watching the instruments, watching where I was going, and trying to give my Dad a smooth ride, it required all of the attention that I could give. This morning's run was different.

I could think about the work day to come, our upcoming vacation, what to see in Washington, D.C., how to find someone to embroider the 50th anniversary shirts, what needs to get fixed on my truck, whether any of my kids will go to DePauw (my alma mater), you get the idea. In the course of 5.2 miles, I can think a lot of thoughts. The running route was familiar, so I didn't even need to think about where I was going. The freedom is wonderful--and right outside my front door. I also enjoy the freedom to think while there is nothing else that I should be doing. There will be time later in the day for work, family, and other responsibilities. While I run I can let my thoughts go wherever they want to go--and enjoy the journey.

No comments: