Sunday, June 10, 2007

Keeping the End in Mind

This afternoon's run was tough. Very hot by 4:00 when I finally got out on the road. A very good reason to run first thing in the morning. I appreciated every bit of shade and the splash of cold water from someone's sprinkler. If I did not have a greater goal that I am working toward, it would have been easy to cut off the run for a shorter route. But as the miles added up, I kept thinking that this run will set my mind so that the left turn up Summit Avenue will not seem overly daunting. I will be able to approach the toughest part of the TCM course with confidence that I will make it through to the finish line.

It is by keeping the greater goal in mind that we overcome immediate adversity. Whether that it is a tough, hot afternoon run, or studying hard when your friends are going out in order to get the grade that will support your application to a top college. Keeping the end in mind bridges the gap between the need for present discipline and the hope for future attainment.

No comments: