Thursday, October 4, 2007

An Ending--of sorts

This morning was my last scheduled training run before the Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday. I feel a sense of satisfaction with having made it through 18 weeks and more than 450 miles of training--and without any significant injury. Thanks to Hal Higdon for the training program and to the family and friends who have been so encouraging along this journey. But the adventure is not quite over. There is just this small remaining matter of 26.2 miles to run on Sunday. Wouldn't it be absurd to stop now? To celebrate the training and skip the race? After all, just about everything that I have done for fitness over the past 18 weeks has been pointing to Sunday.

Finishing well is a challenge for most people--even those who start well and do the middle part well. Whether it is a project, or a running event, or life itself, finishing well is not easy, nor is it something hat you just coast into. So many Biblical characters failed to finish well. They may have had early successes and mid-life strength, but the number of end-of-life champions is limited. That is a topic that merits further discussion some day.

For now my focus needs to be on finishing well on Sunday. I am prepared. I am more ready than I ever have been before. I am probably more fit than anytime in my life since college or before. Now it is time to tame the butterflies and finish well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go get 'em Brother!

Kathy gave me blog address. I remember cheering on Paul Gebel, Bill Myer, Kevin Young and Marty Chandler in the '84 TCM.

I hope you have an excellent run!

Finish the Race for His Glory!

Will Daines

Anonymous said...

We'll be thinking about you on Sunday. Thanks for the blog - it's been fun to keep up with your thoughts during this time. The life lessons are some that I needed to hear and some that I am working to pass along to the boys.

Let us know how it goes!

Love you,

Kathy