Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Matter of Perspective

This morning's run was scheduled for just 3 miles--which at this point doesn't feel like much. Six months ago the same three miles would not have felt somewhat effortless and I would have marked the day with a sense of accomplishment. Today it just felt like marking time. Perspective makes such a huge difference. Compared to my former coach potato existence, 3 miles is a lot. Compared to next weekend's 26.2 mile adventure, 3 miles is just a beginning.

Last Friday Hannah left the country for about 4 1/2 months on a missions project. In the run up to Friday, I was rather glum as I thought of her being gone and only being able to skype and write. But when I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, I was reminded that other parents are sending their 18 year olds off to Iraq and Afghanistan--not for 4 1/2 months, but for 12-18 months. All of sudden, my perspective shifted, and while I will still miss Hannah while she is gone, 4 1/2 months is not really that long.

On Sunday I will need to keep the perspective that I am ready for this adventure (ordeal?) and that no matter how difficult it feels at any given moment, after 4 to 4 1/2 hours, I can stop and will be finished. I hope that this perspective will help me to persevere when the task feels like it is too much and to finish well.

No comments: