Sunday, October 7, 2007

Marathon Finisher

I can now add marathon finisher to my life list of things I have done. I finished today in just under five hours--much longer than I had anticipated, but finished. It was somewhat different than I expected, but everything after 20 miles was brand new territory. It was difficult (as would be expected), but I avoided the cramping that afflicted many of the runners. The heat and humidity were Florida-like and the race's medical director spoke to all of the runners at the start and told us that no one would be getting a personal record today, but that due to the high heat (for Minnesota in October) we should slow down and enjoy the run.

What was most unexpected was the spectators. Along the entire route people were lining both sides of the street cheering and enjoying the festival atmosphere of the day. As people would cheer for individuals you could see the encouragement lift their spirits. They would pick up the pace or at least run a little straighter. It didn't seem to matter whether the runner knew the cheerer. The fact of the encouragement was all that mattered.

How often do we not encourage someone because we don't know them or are not sure how they may respond? Many of you who have said that you have been reading this blog have been encouraging to me. Thank you. It has meant a lot to hear your responses to the thoughts I have written. I think that I will continue with this blog in a few days when I start running again in anticipation fo the Holiday Halfathon that I am running with my brother in December. Thanks again for all of your encouragement.

No comments: