Monday, October 1, 2007

The Home Stretch

Yesterday I put in the last "long" run of the training program--about 8 miles. A week from today, I anticipate taking the stairs gingerly and considering ibuprofen to be one of the major food groups. But I also anticipate wearing my TCM Finisher t-shirt to work. This week I am scheduled to run 2, 4, and 3 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday respectively. I will follow through with the program, even though running such short distances doesn't feel worth it because it will take longer to get ready and get cleaned up than it will to run. I simply need to keep the goal in mind. Wednesday's run is not the goal, the goal is to finish 26.2 next Sunday.

Keeping the ultimate goal in mind is a challenge for most people I know. Even when we have good intentions about how we will spend our time, energy, and money it is so easy to get sidetracked. One key to long term success in life is to keep the main thing the main thing. Of course, what is crucial is to make sure that the main thing that we are pursuing is truly worth being the main thing. Not a bad question to assess--how much of my life am I keeping focused on the main thing?

No comments: