Thursday, October 11, 2007

On to the Next Mountain

This morning was my first run since last Sunday's marathon and it felt pretty good. No new pains that I didn't expect and I hadn't forgotten how to run over the past three days. It has been fun to sit back and enjoy the satisfaction of achieving a long-held life goal, but sitting back and reflecting only gets me so far. By Monday afternoon or Tuesday, I was beginning to wonder, "What's next?" Not that anything needs to be next. It would be perfectly acceptable to check marathon off of my life list of things to do and move on to other arenas. I'm not sure about that one yet.

This I am sure of. Resting on yesterday's successes gives a nice feeling, but does not provide a future accomplishment. I never want to be that person who always looks back at what he has done in the past to find adventure. I need some kind of adventure or new horizon that is still up ahead--something to strive for and something to pursue.

Same is true with faith. For many people, their college years or some younger time of life was a dynamic spiritual time, but the present and future are bleak (or just gray). Unless we continue to pursue new horizons of faith, all we will have of value are recollections--not a great way to live in my book.

No comments: