Sunday, July 1, 2007

Intermediate Milestones

My first double-digit run (10.2) since last winter's Winter Carnival Half Marathon was an accomplishment for me. It felt long, but also felt like I am making progress. Because I know how long the marathon is, I could take comfort that the run was about 40% of an entire marathon. I think that I know why the training program does not have me ever running more than 20 miles. If so, some of the thrill of completing the full marathon distance would be diminished.

It was also good to be back at church today. I am part of a great church that is trying to remain missional while it also gets established. I've been gone for about six weeks with various travels, so it was good to be back.

Looking ahead, the long runs start to turn into some real distance (12, 15, 18) pretty quickly and I will get a much better feel for how it will be to run for four hours. While there is a significant physical component to the entire endeavor, I think that there must be a substantial mental component as well. I guess we'll see.

No comments: