Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Following the Plan

This morning's run did not feel like training for a marathon. It seemed too short. The plan said to run 3.0 today, but I wanted to run more. 3.o did not feel like it is going to advance my efforts to get to 26.2. After all, I have been doing more than 3 miles a day for quite some time now. It is barely a challenge.

Do I really think that I know more than Hal Higdon who has helped 1000's of people successfully complete their first marathon? If I don't know more than him, perhaps I should just set aside my ideas of what constitutes proper training and follow his plan.

This may be why it is a good idea to have a spiritual director/mentor--someone who knows what they are doing and may know what we need more than we do ourselves. Just as Hal Higdon established a plan that has as its long term goal getting runners across the finish line of the marathon, so a spiritual director establishes a plan to move a person into closer conformity to the thoughts, intentions, and actions of Jesus. Not every step along the way may seem like a huge leap of progress, but the spiritual director keeps the end goal in mind.

No comments: