Tuesday, July 24, 2007

That's More Like It

This morning's run was a joyous return to the land of "good" runs. I was a bit concerned after Sunday's debacle, but today I at least got out before the humidity was too oppressive. A familiar route that I like didn't hurt. Is there such a thing as a "bad" run? I rediscovered the other day that it can sometimes be unpleasant, but is that bad? For longer distances I am finding that unpleasant is a matter of degree. The more I run and the farther I run will be more taxing on my muscles, joints, and oxygen delivery systems. It will be tougher. But that can be good.

From what I read, really long distance running is as much a function of the mind as it is of the body. I think that is part of the benefit of longer training runs--simply getting used to constant motion over the course of a number of hours. If the issue is to avoid discomfort, then don't run. If the issue is to become more fit, stronger, and have a sharper mind, then endure a bit of temporary discomfort for the longer range benefits. And at that point the difficulty loses its sting.

I wonder how much effort people put into isolating themselves from any discomfort or pain? Not just the obvious culprits--drugs and alcohol--but what about withdrawing from relationships and not pursuing dreams? Sure it may expose a person to less heartache, pain, and discomfort, but at what price? For the greater benefit, I'll take the temporary pain any day.

1 comment:

dprine said...

Hey Ken! Keep it up. You're doing great! I'm enjoying your insights & I've even found a way to put your blog on my home page so I'll know when you have new posts! I'm your #1 fan!!! :)