Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Freedom for What?

Independence Day. The celebration of America's birth as a free and independent nation. But is that what happened on July 4, 1776? Not exactly. The first Independence Day was a declaration of intent and desire that took years and thousands of lives to obtain. As has been said so many times before, freedom comes at a price. The greater freedom, the higher price.

What does this have to do with training for a marathon? Perhaps not much. Perhaps today's blog is a stretch. But at some level freedom is the ability to do something that one could not otherwise do. Whether that is political self-determination, time or money margins that allow options, or a day with nothing on the schedule--these are all freedoms at different levels.

Every day of training for the TCM gives me a certain freedom to do something that I otherwise could not. If I do not train, I cannot finish the race. If I do train, I can not only finish the race in October, but feel better about myself and my accomplishments between now and then. I will realize physical and emotional benefits that I would otherwise miss. I will develop a camaraderie with other runners that transcends other friendships. I will be able to look back and know that with sufficient effort, I can do what I set my mind to.

My brother may be experiencing some of this. In a moment of lunacy or weakness (on his part) he agreed to run a half marathon with me next December. He has not been much of a runner--generous--and has just started his training program. The other day he went 1.5 miles without walking. PROPS TO DAN!! He would have to tell you if it feels good, but now he has something more to build on. He can be increasingly confident that the next time he can go as for or farther. He too can know the joy of the freedom that running can bring.

Certainly the freedom that comes from running is minimal compared to national self-determination. And the price is dramatically less as well. But for those of us who are not seeking national independence, it is still a freedom we can enjoy if we are willing to pay the price.

No comments: