Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The 50-Day Evaluation

United States Presidents are often first evaluated on their conduct in office over the first 100 days of their tenure.  I have not been thinking so much of the past 100 days as the past 50--more or less.  My two oldest daughters were married within 50 days of each other.  My youngest daughter graduated from high school in between.  I spent a week in (old) Jersey and two weeks doing some teaching and training in India.  It has been quite the whirlwind, but that is not the point of this entry.  The point is that my life is now fundamentally different and it will require a different approach to making everything work.

Or has it changed at the core?  Sure, I now have two sons-in-law, with whom I want to develop a strong and respectful friendship.  I have entrusted two of my daughters to someone else's care and provision.  (I have two open rooms at the house with which to generate some revenue?)  But isn't life still about fulfilling the mission that I have been called to?  Isn't life still about building sustaining and revitalizing friendships?  Isn't life still about finding satisfaction and meaning in faith and family?  Isn't life still about finding meaningful work to put my hands to?  Those fundamentals have not changed--and never should.  The outward expression of those fundamentals may change, but not the fundamentals themselves.

I am looking forward to the next 50 days.  They may set the tone for all that follows.  I am eager to learn how to be a supportive and valued father-in-law to Nathan and Paul.  I am curious to see how Kelsey and Hannah transfer their loyalties to their new husbands and how they build their own homes.  I am interested to see the development of that fine line between being involved and letting them all learn from experience.  I am also happy for Abby to be going off to school and finding new challenges, friends, and life experiences.  Should be a great ride.

Pressing on!
-Ken

No comments: