Saturday, June 19, 2010

The End is in sight ... or maybe the Beginning

Later this afternoon I will entrust my second daughter to the man of her dreams.  When I pass her hand from mine to his, it will mark yet another sea change in this summer of transitions.  Yet again, it marks the end of one era and the beginning of another.  As Hannah moves from my home to build a home of her own with Paul, things change.  But this change is good.  Very good.

Paul and Hannah will be great for each other--and with each other.  They share enough in common to have a basis for building a life together, but are different enough to find each other interesting.  They each have a deep devotion to Christ and to service.  They each bring strengths from their families of origin to build on--and challenges to avoid.  All in all, the prognosis is very good.

But I confess to a certain sadness.  Hannah is my "connector."  More than the other girls she will call just to say hello and will chat most any time.  She is rarely too busy to get together for a cup of coffee or some Chipotle (especially when I am picking up the tab--probably some things will never change).  I just don't know how that will all change now that she is making her own home with Paul.  It will probably change some, but she will still be Hannah.

Sweet, compassionate, moody, chatty, interested, and not pleased with bugs--those things about her will never change.  What will be different is that her family loyalty is shifting from my household to her own.  What will be different is that in the past 50 days I will have taken on two new sons-in-law.  And after 25 years of all girls, what do I do with that?

My brother is doing most of the  ceremony, so I should be able to keep my composure in check.  Today is going to be a great day!

Pressing on,
-Ken

1 comment:

Hannah said...

thanks dad, love you tons