Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How Far Do I Need to See?

This morning's 4.2 was in a misty, drippy, light rain. That kind of "environment" feels very good because of no risk of overheating, but it is not the best for glasses. About three miles in it just made more sense to take off the glasses and deal with the near-sightedness. I have worn glasses since the Fifth Grade--and not just because they look so stylish. Without my glasses, I cannot see very well. But how well do I need to see? It depends on what I am doing and what is at stake.

Running in the early morning? Not too much need to see clearly. I don't need to read street signs or anything else. On my morning run all I needed to do was to be able to stay on the path/road and to see cars. At work I need to see much better. Knowing what my email actually says, as well as what I am actually writing as a response is pretty important. Reading a book at night is somewhere in between. Without my glasses, I just need to hold it closer to my face--I can make it work just fine. The problem is, I always want to see clearly, even when it really doesn't matter.

I would like to know what life will look like 3 to 5 to 15 years down the road. I want to know what to expect. I want to know how today's possible decisions will play out into tomorrow's realities. Is this what I need to know? Most of the time not, but I still want to know.

For most things it is probably sufficient to be able to stay on the road and not run into any cars. But I frustrate myself with not feeling like I can tell when I must see clearly and when I will be fine with seeing mostly clearly. How much do I need to know? How much do I need to trust? (Do you sense a little over-thinking going on here?)

For today I will keep my glasses as clear as possible, but this is one that I would like to figure out some day.

Pressing on!
-Ken

No comments: