Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Guide for the Journey

Today's run around Princeton, New Jersey, reminded me of the value of expert advice. The first half of the 5.4 miles was along the D&R Canal towpath. It was delightful to run along a strip of land between the canal and the river under the canopy of trees in a light rain. After the turnaround (and not wanting to simply retrace my steps) I headed up the hill and though that I would catch the road back to the hotel. Started out as a good idea, but pretty soon the road turned into a curving, twisting, narrow ribbon of asphalt. The narrow lane would have been fine if it was just me, but I had to share the road with the cars and trucks. I looked at a map before I went out, but it would have been good to have been running with someone who knew the course and could alert us to the best course to follow.

Sometimes I think it would have been a great idea to have someone walk along with me during my early journey of faith (and later on for that matter). Someone who had been on the journey and who could have alerted me to better paths to take. Nothing beats experience or having walked the journey. It is also a really good experience to be the veteran.

When we ran and biked the Apple Duathlon a couple of weekends ago it was good to be able to let the others know what to expect at a couple of places on the course. It has been good on my Superior Hiking Trail trips to be the seasoned backpacker. Hopefully I have helped our trips to run more smoothly. At the very least, it has felt good to feel like I had some expertise that could make it a better trip for everyone.

I am afraid that most churches drop the ball when it comes to this process. We know that the essence of what we are describing has usually been called discipleship. But what is that? At the core, it is an apprenticeship in faith. Has a quaint sound to it, doesn't it--apprenticeship. Conjures up images of a young kid at the blacksmith shop or learning some trade at the side of an experienced journeyman. Even that term is pregnant with meaning. A journeyman. One who is further along on the journey to be able to show someone else, usually younger, how to get the job done.

There is a lot we can learn from those who have gone before--or who are further along on the journey than we are. But all too often the apprentice waits for someone else to take the initiative to start the conversation. If you are an "apprentice" looking for a journeyman, go ahead and ask. Who knows, your respected journeyman may say yes. From the journeyman perspective it feels really good to be asked.

My friend Dan once asked me if we could get together on a regular basis to explore our faith journey. That relationship has grown to a deeply valued friendship. If he had not asked, we never would have gotten to where we are today.

So go ahead and ask. It will be good for both of you.

Pressing on!
-Ken

No comments: